Saturday, May 11, 2013

London Calling

Hi friends - just got back from London.  What a great city!!  I got to spend five days there, and it absolutely flew by.  There was so much to see and do and eat!  The weather was incredible while I was there.  Sunshine every day, and temperatures in the 60s for most of the day - I hadn't seen weather so nice since I was in Austin last fall.  I definitely welcomed the opportunity to comfortably walk around the city in jeans and a jacket :)


I landed late Friday afternoon.  There was enough time to do some strolling around (it stays light outside until at least 8pm) before an easy dinner and drinks night.


Saturday, I got to check out Borough Market, which was right next to our hotel.  Seriously - I felt like this place was made specifically for me.  I didn't snap a ton of pictures while we were there because I was too busy drooling over all the food, but seriously, this place was so awesome.  Tons of tasty stalls and shops selling all kinds of delicious things.  I could've spent all day there.


We were there for a couple of hours, and I enjoyed a delicious chorizo sandwich with rocket and roasted piquillo peppers, the best almond croissant I've ever had, a carrot-orange-lemon juice, my first Scotch egg, and tons of samples.  SO DELICIOUS.  Seriously, I can't tell you guys how much this place was right up my alley.  Such a shame that it wasn't open every day that I was there - I would've eaten all my meals there if I could!



As it stands, Borough Market is not open during the evenings, and most stalls are not open during the beginning of the week.  No matter - I still managed to eat very well in London!  Some of the highlights were fish & chips, Sunday roast, caramel biscuits, a smoked hake and tomato salad, and a super charming coffee shop that was everything you could ask for (great coffee, great food, great staff).

Most of the trip was just a lot of city exploring.  The weather was so great, and London is a fantastic place for walking.  We walked all along the Thames and throughout most of central London.

Bridge over the Thames - reminds me of the helix bridge in Singapore

St. Paul's Cathedral.  I love old churches - so beautiful

I loved all the architecture so much.

London Eye!
Tower Bridge

London Bridge

We also ended up walking through a bunch of the parks - Richmond, St James, Green Park, Hyde Park.. they were all so gorgeous.  And tons of people were out enjoying the weather!  It was really nice to be outside and be comfortable.  Singapore is usually pretty sunny, but it is basically unbearably hot, so you never really see people just hanging out outside.  It was such a nice change to be in London and see everyone with their picnic blankets just lazing in the sunshine.

Pathways in Richmond Park.  I really loved this park and was really regretful that I didn't bring any running clothes with me.

Loved all the green spaces

 
Just look at those flowers!!

We also spent an afternoon hitting a bunch of the museums.  I went to the Tate Modern, the Natural History Museum, the Science Museum, and the V&A Museum.  All of them were so different.  One of the highlights was actually a little tea break that we took while we were at the V&A. There is a really nice courtyard in the middle of the museum.. the sun was shining.. we had a casual cup of afternoon tea.. it was great.

Tate Modern

Courtyard at V&A

Tea break in the sunshine

 On my last night in London, we saw a show in the West End!  I had never heard of this particular play, but it was absolutely hilarious!!  A great end to a great trip.

One Man Two Guvnors at Haymarket

I seriously loved London so so so much.  After a couple of days at home in Singapore, I'm off to Indonesia this morning!  Hope everyone has a good weekend!



No comments:

Post a Comment