Wednesday, June 19, 2013

In a haze

In case you haven't heard, Singapore has been overcome with haze this week.  Indonesia is burning some forestry, and the wind patterns have blow most of the resulting smoke right over Singapore.  It is incredibly gross.  Sometimes, when I look out the window at work, it just looks like a white screen.  Disgusting.

Lunch with a view


Aside from the smoky smell and the low visibility, I've found this haze to be incredibly disturbing.  The air quality is as bad as it has been in about ten years, with levels far exceeding what is considered to be "safe".  The government has encouraged us all to not spend prolonged periods of time outdoors, and there are other warnings for the elderly or those with asthma, etc.  Our Monday night running group was cancelled due to the haze, and I'm not sure it will clear up before my Thursday night run date either.  I've been pretty lucky this week, and the bus has arrived exactly when I walked up to the bus stop, but I did get a headache walking to lunch earlier today.

The haze here isn't caused by pollution, but it has been a weird glimpse into what it is like to live with poor air quality.  And let me tell you - it is no good.  Take care of the planet people!  (And get Indonesia to stop the slash and burn!)



No comments:

Post a Comment