Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Auckland Half Marathon

Hello friends!  My trip to Auckland was great!  The city is really nice, and there was tons of gorgeous scenery.  I love waterfront areas, and it was nice to have some cooler weather for a few days.

Stephanie and I planned this trip to go run the Auckland half marathon, which was this past Sunday.  We flew in a few days early so that we could do some exploring and get our bodies adjusted to the time difference.  Even though it seems like it would be closer, Auckland is still five time zones (and a ten hour flight) away from Singapore!

We flew (with points!) overnight on Tuesday, and when we landed on Wednesday, it was mid-day.  We picked up our rental car and headed to the Hilton (also with points!) for the night.  It was my first time driving on the left-hand side of the road, but I think I managed to handle it pretty well!  My first roundabout was a bit tricky, but it was actually pretty easy to get the hang of it all.  Although, even at the end of our trip, I kept accidentally turning on the windshield wipers whenever I wanted to turn on my blinker!

View from the Hilton

I love seeing boats!

Local beers on tap!

Can you see the logo on this office building?

Auckland Ferry Terminal

Since there were a few days to kill before the race, we did a few fun things in the North Island area.  First was a wine tour in Waiheke Island.  It was about a 45 minute ferry ride from downtown Auckland to the island, and it was a beautiful ride over! The water around New Zealand is so incredibly blue - it reminds me of being in the Bahamas.

Ferry ride

Pulling into Waiheke Island

The island is populated with tons of wineries, but we only visited four.  We had some sips and snacks throughout the afternoon, learning about the different grapes that are good in the Waiheke weather, chatting with other tourists, and tasting local olive oil.

First sips of the day - chardonnay!



What a view of the harbour!

This one was my favorite.


The first winery on Waiheke Island.  Randomly, the tour guide at this one was actually from Texas!

Goldie had a tire swing!

Vines and views

Another day, we drove out to Waitomo to visit the famed glowworm caves!  My friend Jason actually told me about this awesome tour that you can do with The Blackwater Rafting Company.  Basically, you put on a wetsuit and grab an inner tube, and the guides taken you into the caves where you can float along, jump over waterfalls, and see the glowworms.  No cameras were allowed in (for safety reasons), but trust me when I say that it was totally awesome!!  And so unique!  Definitely unlike anything else I've done.

Ready for adventure!

Staying warm with a fancy hot chocolate

After a few days of play, it was suddenly race day.  We took a ferry over to Devonport early in the morning to make our way to the starting line.  I was feeling totally unprepared due to my total lack of training, but it was a beautiful day, and I wasn't taking the race too seriously, which left me feeling very relaxed.  I just tried to focus on going at a slow pace and to enjoy the view.

Runners at sunrise

The race course took us all the way from Devonport back to Auckland and including running up and over the Auckland Harbour Bridge!  There were about 10,000 runners doing the half marathon, but it was really well organized at the start and along the course.  Powerade and water were at every hydration stop, and the course was very well marked.

We ran with a mariachi band for a few kilometers!

One thing that I actually have discovered that I really like is to use the kilometer markers instead of mile markers!  While I definitely still think in terms of miles when I run, in a distance race, particularly one you haven't trained for, it is so much easier to look for kilometer markers because they are much closer together!  Running really is so much about your mental state.

See the buildings?  That's where we are running towards!

The bridge was a beast.  I was feeling pretty good at that point in the race, so I pushed myself to run all the way up the bridge, rather than walking up it like most of the people around me.  In retrospect, that probably wasn't the best idea because I was totally wiped out after the bridge, but there was still about 5km left to go!  Also not helping was the fact that we went about 5-6km in between water stations at the bridge.  Ouch.

I ignored these walkers and just kept running ha

Eventually, we made our way back into downtown Auckland.  When there was about a km to go, I got a sudden burst of energy and practically sprinted across the finish line!  Woo!

iPhone time - slow, but I'm perfectly fine with that!

Considering that I hadn't been running much, I'm pretty pleased that I managed to finish the race in one piece!  My legs were feeling pretty sore immediately after the race (and after the 10 hour flight back to Singapore), but by yesterday, I was feeling just fine.  Hooray!

I really do have a love-hate relationship with running.  At times, I feel like it is the best thing, but then other times I feel like running is the last thing that I want to do.  For all the years that I've been an aspiring runner, I've never managed to find a way to sustain motivation for running.  It is a great hobby, and I know that the more you do it, the better it is, but I just can't figure out how to stay on the wagon!  Any tips??

That's all for now.  Hope everyone is having a good week!

No comments:

Post a Comment