Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Back

Hello hello!!  Remember me?  It's been a while since I've been able to write a proper post, but I'm finally back!  The past two and a half weeks have been absolutely insane for me.  First, there was a weekend trip to Saigon, then I flew to China for a work trip, and then I headed off to Marrakesh!  I did a little vacationing, some hiking, and helped celebrate some friends getting married (which was my first destination wedding - and it was absolutely lovely!).  And now, I am finally back in Singapore.  It has been crazy, but it has been brilliant, and I want to catch you up on all of it.

We'll start with the birthday trip to Saigon.  This was my fourth (!) time visiting this city, and I just love it more and more each time.  I knew that this would probably be my last time in Vietnam, at least for the foreseeable future, so I tried to savor it as best as possible!!

A group of us went over on Friday and made our way to our favorite hotel - the Cinnamon Hotel!!  Stephanie has actually stayed there a ton of times in the past year, so they love welcoming her.  They even had a birthday cake waiting for me in my room!!



After everyone got in, we headed out for dinner. I took a recommendation and went to the Temple Club.  I actually took zero pictures of our actual dinner, but the food and the service were really excellent!!  I was so impressed!!!  Definitely a great place for a nice dinner in HCMC.

One thing that was definitely not so great- on our way to dinner, we were a little bit lost, and kind of standing around in the street trying to figure things out.  All of the sudden, a motorbike drove past us, and someone on the bike tried to rob my friend Emma!  She was wearing a small, cross-body bag, and they tried to take it from her.  Emma ended up being dragged down the road just a bit, but they didn't manage to steal her bag.  It all happened so quickly and we were all so shocked!  Emma's shoulders and knee were pretty scrapped up, and her bag was damaged (they tried to cut the straps off, but ended up just cutting up the leather of the bag).  Honestly, I was so shocked.  It was scary!  I've never had anything even remotely close to that ever happening!  Guess it goes to show you that you really can't ever let your guard down!

Anyway - once we actually found the restaurant and were able to clean Emma up a bit (and give her some wine!), it was a really lovely time!

Group shot

After dinner, we went back to the Cinnamon to just hang out and have an easy night.  The staff there also helped doctor up Emma's wounds and were so great to us.

Saturday morning, we all got up to get on a speedboat trip down the Saigon River!!


One of my favorite things about Saigon is that, no matter how many times I've been, I see something new every single time.  I had never been down to the river before, and it was a really good way to spend a hot morning!  We cruised up the river with our guide, who was full of information that was new to me!!

He told us about the Russian and Chinese influences on Vietnam (previously I always associated foreign influence with the French).  He also talked about Bill Clinton's visit during 2000 and how Clinton was the one who really opened up Vietnam to US ideas and the English language.  Think about that!  Vietnam, as a country, has really only been speaking English for 14 years.  That was totally astounding to me.


We stopped off and wandered through a small scenic park that is popular with locals and had a snack of fruit and coconuts!


 

Then we took our speedboat over to a floating temple in the middle of the river.  After a short visit, we rode back down the river to the city, and then went over to the Ben Thanh Market for some shopping and sitting!



Mosaic tile




One of my favorite things to do in Saigon is to just sit on the tiny stools in the middle of the market drinking coconuts and hanging out with friends.



The other favorite thing to do is buy fake Ray-Bans haha.  We shopped and sipped until we were all ready for lunch.

Hot pot!!

Lunch was delicious, but we didn't want to fill up too much since we were booked for a motorbike foodie tour that night!  This activity isn't new to me, and it is my absolute number one recommendation in Saigon - maybe even in Asia!  It is just such a fun and unique experience - I've never had a bad time on it!  Since Brian, Stephanie, and I have all already done it before, we did book through a different tour group this time just to shake it up.  

Can you tell that we are all wearing matching shirts?  I bought those in the market that day for $3 a shirt!

This tour company was a bit more "local" of an experience.  Here we are sitting on linoleum tile squares in the middle of a park while we eat our salads :)


Banh xeo!

Me and Stephanie and a delicious crab soup!

I fell off this stool - then Brian and Emma did too.  But Jo did it first!



At the end of the tour, they gave me a birthday cake!  It was really sweet :)

Sunday, the group split up, as some people went off to the Cu Chi tunnels, and some of us went to get massages.  It was a leisurely day to enjoy my favorite city in Southeast Asia.



Until next time, Saigon!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment