Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Birthday recap and Bintan

After my super awesome trip to London, I got back to Singapore to celebrate my 30th birthday.  And while I had a virtual birthday dinner on the blog, I actually spent the afternoon at high tea!  A few friends and I went to one of the fancy hotels in town and indulged in their awesome afternoon high tea.  (I made sure to bring along a Brit so that I would do it right!)

Tray of treats - top row of sweets, middle row of savories, bottom row of sweets.  This tray was refillable and came with delicious scones and clotted cream and fresh jam!

After tea, we went over to another friend's apartment for a going away barbecue.  My friend Kat is coming to the end of her secondment (last day in the office is this Friday) and is leaving Singapore to head back to the UK.  Kat is the first friend I've had in Singapore to go back home (except for when Lena left the day after I arrived), so it's a bit weird for me to not really know if I will ever see her again!  We aren't incredibly close or anything, it's just weird to think about...


Anyway, I wrapped up my 30th birthday celebration this past weekend in Bintan, Indonesia.  Bintan is only about an hour away by ferry, so it was a quick and easy trip!  A group of about ten of us went over and had a fun weekend at the pool!

We stayed at a fun resort and never left the property.  When the bus from the ferry terminal dropped us off, we were greeted by some Indonesian dancers..



A friendly sign ensured that the resort wouldn't be smelly :)


The resort itself was pretty massive.  It had several restaurants and bars, and a few different types of accommodations.  We opted for a big villa!!


Pool!!!


We spent pretty much all day Saturday hanging out at the pool.  It was nice because it wasn't too crowded.  We had lunch and some drinks in the afternoon, and then we had dinner at a restaurant on the property in the evening.  Stephanie had bought me a "Happy Birthday" headband to wear, so everyone at the resort knew it was my birthday - that was pretty fun :)


Sunday was more pool time before getting on the ferry and heading back to Singapore and real life :(


Luckily, we are half-way through this week already!  I plan to have a pretty low key weekend, and then I leave for Africa next Tuesday night!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment